Digital advertising is an important lever for advertising campaigns. Indeed, digital advertising now accounts for 6.275 billion euros of advertising revenue. Using digital advertising, you can build a brand image online and reach a large audience. In this article we present the major players in digital advertising in France.
Summary: What are the display advertising networks in France?
- What is an advertising network?
- How do display advertising networks work?
- Who are the display advertising networks?
What is a display advertising network?
An advertising network can be a company, an interest grouping or a company department. It is responsible for marketing advertising space. In this way, they act as an intermediary between advertisers and the media. These spaces can be ;
- Online: websites, digital signage (DOOH), social networks such as Instagram, YouTube or Tiktok
- Offline: billboards, tactical media, television, radio, press etc.
A display advertising agency is not just an intermediary. It fulfils other important tasks in the course of an advertising campaign:
- It advises its clients on media strategy
- It defines a media plan in accordance with its client's needs
- It produces editorial content
- It can set up promotional operations
- Negotiates and manages advertising contracts
- It organises analytical monitoring and draws up reports on the performance of advertising campaigns
The display advertising agency, like the offline advertising agency, is paid by the advertiser, in other words it will take a commission for each click or impression sold to the advertiser.
In the display advertising sector, there are two types of advertising network:
- Internal advertising network: which only deals with the advertising space made available on the company's website(s).
- External agency/programmatic platform: which offers a large inventory of advertising space belonging to different sites of several companies.
Display advertising agencies work with two different types of purchase: OTC or programmatic
Advertisers are increasingly using these display advertising networks because they offer a greater variety of locations and display formats. In display, we find audio and video advertising formats. As far as the different locations and dimensions are concerned, there is a wide variety, the standards being :
- The rectangle format (300 px x 250 px)
- The large rectangle (336 px x 280 px)
- Leaderboard or banner (728 px x 90 px)
- The wide angle or half page (300' px x 600 px)
- The large mobile banner (320 px x 100 px)
However, other formats are also widely used in display campaigns:
- The skyscraper (120 px ×600 px)
- The large skyscraper (160 px x 600 px)
- The small square (200 px ×200 px)
- Mobile leaderboard (320 px ×50 px)
- The large leaderboard (970 px ×90 px)
- The skin, which covers the entire website, and which is therefore highly visible (about 5 times more than a classic format)
Who are the display advertising agencies?
In display, there are 13 advertising networks that are more popular and important than the others.
- Facebook Ads.
- YouTube Ads.
- Google Ads.
- LinkedIn Ads.
- Bing Ads.
- Amazon Ads.
- Instagram Ads.
- TikTok Ads.
- Taboola Ads.
Among them, we distinguish 4 main categories of distribution according to Antvoice, there are agencies that :
- Distribute their ads on social networks such as Facebook Ads, Linkedin Ads, Instagram Ads or Tiktok Ads.
- Advertising agencies that distribute their ads on search engines such as Google Ads or Bing Ads.
- Those that allow the distribution of advertising simultaneously on different websites thanks to programmatic, among this top 13 are the Taboola and Teads platforms.
- Digital advertising agencies that distribute on press media and important blogs.
Although these categories include a large number of display advertising agencies, there are others specialising in different sectors.
Some specialise in audio, such as Deezer or Soundcast. Others are experts in video and packaging, a very popular sector in digital, in this category we find players such as Viously or Dailymotion.
There are also platforms that specialise in targeting, particularly semantic and contextual targeting (which consists of precise targeting based on keywords present on websites and on the behavioural history of individuals on the web). Among them, we find the Weborama platform for example.
In digital, some platforms are specialised in web to store (online action that leads to in-store purchases), such as Deepreach or Solocal, and others are specialised in online marketing.